Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Filter

Yet another endearing trait of young students is their apparent lack of comment-filtering skills.  That loud voice in the minds of many adults (clearly not all) that screams "THAT MAY BE WHAT YOU THINK BUT DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, SAY IT OUT LOUD!" will not fully develop for quite some time (if ever).  Whatever comes into their heads is bound to come out of their mouths. Oftentimes this bodes well for a teacher's self-esteem; when they tell you you're beautiful, funny, nice, or smart.  Other times, it is far less than a confidence booster. 

A couple years ago a fellow first grade teacher was expecting her first baby and it was becoming rather obvious.  Many students didn't seem to understand what was happening and had begun making comments about how fat she was getting.  One afternoon when all the first graders were together for singing time, she decided it was time to explain to the students that she wasn't getting fat.  She had a baby in her tummy.  This seemed to make sense to the students, "That's why my mom is fat, too!"

After the explanation, the first graders returned to their classrooms to carry on with their learning.  As my students worked quietly on an assignment I noticed that Lexie was eyeing me with a confused look on her face.  After several moments of enduring her blatant scrutiny I whispered, "Lexie, is everything okay?" and she hesitantly asked, "Is Mrs. Hansen the only one that's pregnant?"

I knew in my heart that this conversation was not going to end well, but instead of walking away and keeping my self-confidence intact I responded, "As far as I know."

"Oh." she said in a perplexed kind of way (and here's where the filter should have kicked in), "'Cause it kind of looks like you are, too."

I am still in the early stages of recovery.

1 comment: