Saturday, March 13, 2010

Harm

In order to write a good story in first grade, you must have the following elements: a catchy title, an attention-grabbing beginning, a middle with interesting details, and an ending that brings closure or solves the problem of the story.  With these points in mind, I'd like to share with you a story by Ben (the spelling has not been changed).  See if you can pinpoint each of the aforementioned elements with me.

The Battle In Space (catchy)
There was a battle and who'd win between marshans and aleins? (My attention was grabbed.  Yours?) Floated over a blackhole, fighting, shooting, and harm. Because the losers will fall. (Whoa.  And here come those details I mentioned.) And weapons, bows, arrows, clubs, boomerangs, spiny balls, forts, bases, bombs, swords, guns, planes (oh, we're not done), wood weapons, fireballs, fire, hot wood, metal balls the problem is solved! (Wait, what?)  They need weapons!  (Ah, I see now.) Then the fight began.  They had a hard time getting organized. (Well, I'm not at all surprised, what with all those weapons to sort through.)

And that's how it ends. Leaving the reader begging for more.

Overall, Ben's story is right on target.  I'd just like to know who won - Marshans or Aleins? 

I'm betting it was whoever had the hot wood.





No comments:

Post a Comment